Railway Budget 2011 – Highlights
March 12, 2011 1 Comment
With highest ever allocation of
Rs.57,630 crore ($13 bn), Union
Railway Minister Mamata
Banerjee presented the Rail
Budget for the financial year
2011-12, on 25th February 2011
in the Parliament House, promising
to move fast to build a railroad
infratructure while addressing the needs of the common man.
dressing The big question for every Rail budget is whether the Ticket
prices will be increased or not – And the ansewer is NO. Not
only the fares are not increased, in some cases they are even
decreased. Like, booking charges for A/C as well as non-A/C seats will be reduced by 50 per cent. Eighty nine new
mail/express train services have been announced in the Railway Budget for the FY2011-12. The 2011 railway budget aims at
increasing the production of wagons, coaches and locos, gauge conversion and doubling of tracks and laying of 1000 km of
railway tracks. Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee had her eyes firmly on the West Bengal assembly election when she
presented the Railway Budget 2011-12 in Parliament. For the third successive year, the Railway Minister refused to increase
passenger fares and freight rates even as she announced many projects for her home state West Bengal. Some major
higihlights of Railway Budget 2011-12 are given here in this post.
| HIGHLIGHTS OF RAILWAY BUDGET 2011-12
• No hike in passenger fare and freight rates.
• New Super AC Class to be introduced.
• All India Security Help line on a single number set up.
• Senior citizen concessions for women start at age 58 instead of 60.
• Senior Citizens concession to be hiked from 30 % to 40 %.• Highest ever Plan outlay of Rs. 57, 630 crore proposed for Railways.
• A new portal for e-ticketing to be launched shortly. Booking charges will be cheaper
• Pan-India multi-purpose smart card “Go India” to be introduced.
• 236 more stations to be upgraded as Adarsh Stations.
• PPPs with major universities to modernise Railways.• 2011-12 declared ‘Year of Green Energy’ for Railways.
• 47 additional suburban services in Mumbai and 50 new suburban services proposed
• Feasibility study to raise speed of passenger trains to 160-200 kmph to be undertaken.
• 1300 km new lines, 867 km doubling of lines and 1017 km gauge conversion
• 18,000 Wagons to be procured during 2011-12.
• Rs. 9,583 crore provided for new lines.
• Anti Collision Devise (ACD) sanctioned to cover 8 zonal railways.
• 700 MW gas-based power plant to be set up at Thakurli in Maharashtra.
• All state capitals in the North-East except Sikkim to be connected by Rail in next
• Additional mechanized laundry units to be set up at Nagpur, Chandhigarh and Bhopal.
• Concession to physically handicapped persons to be extended on Rajdhani and
• Mamata plans to raise Rs 10,000 crore from tax-free bonds.
• 56 new Express Trains, 3 new Shatabdis and 9 Duronto trains to be introduced.
• A separate sports cadre to be created.
• 10,000 shelters to be created for the poors by indian railway
• Concession of 50% to press correspondents with family increased to twice a year.
• Medical facilities extended to dependent parents of the Railway employees.
• Scholarship for Girl child of Group-D railway employees increased to Rs.1200 per month.
• Mamata promises railway jobs for 16,000 ex-servicemen
• 20 additional hostels for children of railway employees to be set up.
• Freight loading of 993 MT and passenger growth of 6.4 % estimated for 2011-12.
• Gross Traffic Receipts at Rs.1,06,239 crore, exceeding one lakh crore mark for the
• Ordinary Working Expenses assessed at Rs. 73,650 crore.
•To set up a metro coach factory in Singur
•To set up a diesel locomotive centre in Manipur
•To set up two more wagon unit at Kerela
•To set up a bridge factory in Jammu and Kashmir
•To set up an industrial park in at New Bongaigon, Nandigram
• To set up a coach factory in Kolar via Public Private Partnership (PPP) or Joint Venture (JV)
|Finally…i would like to request you all the readers to support Indian railways at your best. Don’t travel without paying rail fares. Source : Budget Speech Post created by – Narender Jangra|